Advertisement

Italian Pepper Shooters?

topic posted Fri, May 5, 2006 - 11:53 AM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
I know they are provolone cheese wrapped in prosciutto inside of a pepper marinated in olive oil.

However, can anyone recommend which cheese, meat, and olive oil are best? Also, are they cherry peppers? If so, are they raw when you put them into the oil to marinate?

My addiction is only controlled by the outrageous price they ask for them here in Chicago. I'd rather make my own anyway.
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • Are you talking about the ones made by DIvina ? If so , I'm pretty sure those are cherry peppers....Where are they selling these ?..... I am curious.

For something different/ fancy try :

Cheese :
    Asiago Fresco
    Queso Fresco
    Young Manchego Artequesano

Meat : I would stick with Proscuitto di Parma or try some Serrano Ham w/ the Manchego ...that'd be good

Also If you want a better Prosciutto than the Parma then try the San Danielle or if you want to get really fancy try La Ghianda. ...

• Unsu...

So far I have found them in two locations.

1) Minelli Brothers Italian Grocery on Milwaukee Ave in Niles. They are good but sometimes a little too oily tasting.

2) Bari Foods - 1120 W Grand Ave Chicago. This is the better of the two by far. I am not sure which prosciutto they use but it is really tasty. (They also make great sub sandwiches for dirt cheap using fresh, high quality ingredients.)

It doesn't hurt that this place is next door to the best Italian bakery I've been to in Chicago - D'Amato's Bakery. Fantastic sourdough.

They are kind of a rip off at both places but too good to pass up once in awhile.
      • Oh...I know both of these places....Bari has good subs....The men I work with talk about Bari - they know the owners.
        So I guess you live in Chicago ?

D'amato's makes good tomato bread too.
        • Unsu...

I do live here in this great city.

So are you a chef or just a gourmand?
          • I don't know what you might call someone like me......I 've been working in the food related industry ( as a day job ) for about 20 years now....10 years at Wholefoods....I know some stuff.....I'm kind of a health food junky although I have been known to indulge in some of the finer, more decadent things. The last 3 years at the " Food Hole" were as a buyer in "Specialty " (Beer, Wine, Cheese, Coffee and let us not forget ...Chocolate !!!!!)
            • Unsu...

I was just at Whole Foods on North Avenue last weekend but you probably work at corporate somewhere, eh?

Here is a brew I would bribe you to carry...O'Dells "Easy Street Wheat." It is brewed in Ft. Collins, CO and I haven't been able to find it anywhere. It is the best summertime brew with a squeeze of lemon and just as good with a squeeze of orange in the winter. Mmmmm good stuff.

I used to be able to pay for my trip to go to Wisconsin to buy quality cheese until the gas prices went crazy.

I guess I am venturing away from my pepper shooters post but it is fun to talk to someone local on here who knows about the places I know. Most everyone is from CA it seems.
    • jay
      jay
      offline 0
      Some of the best pepper shooters you will ever have is from a small town in northeastern Pennsylvania known as Hazleton. It is heavily populated with itialian and polish people and has some of the best food in the country.

Pepper shooters:

1/2 inch Sharp Provolone cubes wrapped with
      Dietz Watson Prosciutto stuffed into pepper with prosciutto side facing out
      Cherry Peppers must be in season and Hot kind not sweet
      Drizzle and marinate in Virgin Olive oil as they are supposed to be served cold.
      Serve with fresh italian bread to dip in olive oil.
  • Does anyone know how to make and preserve pepper shooters? . I am growing my own cherry peppers and plan to stuff with provolone and prsciutto then marinate in garlic and olive oil.

I buy them prepared from a little italian deli right by my house in Chardon, Ohio called Ianiro's. They have them soaking in a big vat of olive oil in a refrigerated case. They are expensive though. I would say 50-75 cents per pepper depending on weight.

If possible, I'd like to preserve them to enjoy year round without refrigeration until the jar is opened. Any ideas? Don't want to do it wrong and get botulism.
    • You have to be careful. When canning meat, you need to heat to a temperature of 135 – 140f. That would not work with the cheese. I would consider making enough to keep in oil in the fridge.

The other option would be to can the peppers and assemble the shooter as you need them. Good luck.

Recent topics in "Food Geeks"